Up to about 1934, Mr. W.H. Hudson owned the land on which Downside stands. It was later sold to Mr. Archie Mayler and his wife, who owned a large clothing store in Hove which specialised in school uniforms. Archie Mayler then had a house built on the site in the mid-1930s. Downside has extensive grounds associated with it, along with views to the south towards the Downs and to the north across the Sussex Weald.
Later, Archie Mayler’s son Jack and his wife Ursula took over the house. Jack Mayler was a Spitfire pilot during WWII and frequently flew low over Downside, dipping his wings to say hello. The Maylers subsequently sold the house to John and Barbara Williams who lived there for some years. It was then sold to Bernard and Jill Barker who converted the double garage to a “granny flat” and made several other alterations. They later sold it for business reasons to Graham and Yvonne Brooks, who added extensions to the rear of to the house and a tennis court. They also constructed a horseshoe shaped front drive with electric gates at the entrances for added security. In 2004 it was sold to the present owners who have completely re-landscaped the grounds, giving it a more spacious and open aspect.
Passage quoted from Anthony R. Brooks (2008) The Changing Times of Fulking & Edburton. Chichester: RPM Print & Design, page 139.