In view of a recent serious incident at the Dyke, local walkers may wish to bear the following NFU-approved Rambler guidelines in mind:
- Try to avoid getting between cows and their calves.
- Be prepared for cattle to react to your presence, especially if you have a dog with you.
- Move quickly and quietly, and if possible walk around the herd.
- Keep your dog close and under effective control on a lead around cows and sheep.
- Remember to close gates behind you when walking through fields containing livestock.
- Don’t hang onto your dog – if you are threatened by cattle, let it go as the cattle will chase the dog.
- Don’t put yourself at risk – find another way round the cattle and rejoin the footpath as soon as possible.
- Don’t panic or run – most cattle will stop before they reach you, if they follow just walk on quietly.