Minutes of Ordinary Meeting 15th April 2021 (Draft)

Minutes of the Ordinary Council Meeting Fulking Parish Council held Thursday 15th April 2021 at 7.30pm online. 


Vice Chairman:                                        Cllr Mark Hind
Fulking Parish Council (FPC):                     Cllrs Linda Dyos, Karen Healy, Samantha Leader and Lucy Mehta
Mid Sussex District Council (MSDC):          Cllrs Rodney Jackson & Alison Bennett
West Sussex County Council (WSCC):        Cllr Joy Dennis
Parish Clerk:                                            Trevor Parsons 

There were four members of the public present who were offered an opportunity to speak.  

Prior to opening the meeting, a one-minute silence was held in remembrance of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.  Our thoughts are with the Queen and her family at this sad time. 

The meeting opened at 7.30pm. 

21/029/OM.            Apologies for Absence. 

Apologies were received from MSDC Councillor, Colin Trumble. 

21/030/OM.            Declaration of Members’ Interests. 

No declarations were received. 

21/031/OM.            Approve the Minutes of Ordinary Council Meeting of 8th January 2021, Planning Meeting 4th February 2021, Co-option Meeting 27th February 2021 and Extraordinary (Planning) Meeting 2nd March 2021 

The minutes, subject to any amendments, were approved and signed as a true record of the meeting. 

21/032/OM.            Reports from District and County Councillors.  

Cllr Dennis provided a written update and statement to the parish, including confirmation that she has written to the cabinet member and director of education regarding the situation in item 21/034/OM being the issue that Fulking children have not been offered places at their local senior school and have been re-directed to Sompting. 

Cllr Jackson advised that additional grant funding was now in place from MSDC for businesses affected by Covid-19. MSDC leisure centres have now re-opened.  Ward boundary changes are being made and consultations are being undertaken. 

21/033/OM.            Matters Arising & Outstanding Actions To clarify and report on actions brought forward from the last meeting.  

1) Ram Pump Noticeboard  

Cllr Hind will be obtaining the final high resolution pictures for the board and then the final draft can be approved. This may include the need to purchase a picture of John Ruskin.  

2) Speed Indicator Device 

Councillors agreed that a SID would be a useful tool to slow down car speeding into the village. It was also agreed that the placement of an additional 20mph sign on leaving the village be discussed at the next Council meeting.  

ACTION – Clerk to investigate whether a SID can be borrowed and add 20 mph signs to agenda of next meeting. 

3) Village Signs 

Cllr Dyos has completed her inspection of the signs and spoken to a local artist who would be prepared to consider creating new pictures. The meeting felt that this should be taken forward. 

ACTION – Clerk to obtain a quote for the safe removal of the ironwork and pictures from the three signs. Cllr Hind to discuss with Cllr Dyos next steps. 

4) Village Gateway 

Plans for the new village gateways have been paused for the time being due to higher priorities. 

21/034/OM.       Fulking Secondary School Allocations 

Two village residents have shared their concerns regarding the lack of places for their children next year at Downlands secondary school in Hassocks and the possible long-term implications of lack of places for the village.  Places were not offered to their children despite being within the catchment area and a school bus stopping in Fulking to take children to and from the school every day. 

Cllr Hind confirmed that the Parish Council will be writing to the Cabinet Member and Director of Education for West Sussex County Council to express our serious concerns over this decision.  It will also seriously impact the likelihood of families with school aged children considering living in Fulking in the future.                                  

21/035/PM.         Planning Inspectorate Decision re Market Gardens    

The Planning Inspectorate has approved the installation of additional caravans despite the concerns raised by the Parish Council. Cllr Hind will be writing to SDNPA and MSDC requesting information regarding the future plans for gypsy and traveller sites. 

Concern was also raised about the constant barking dogs at Market Garden with Enivronmental Health recommending to residents affected by this to keep a record of the disturbance.  

21/036/OM.            Village Hall 

Cllr Hind outlined his discussion with Rev Tim Harford as the PCC are considering selling the village hall. Whilst FPC would prefer a formal lease, if the site was being sold, FPC would lead fund-raising for its purchase. A further discussion with Rev Tim Harford is planned for 20th April 2021. 

21/037/OM.             Yellow Lines 

Cllr Hind reported that WSCC has agreed that FPC can apply for yellow lines in the village but the cost would need to be met by FPC. Cllr Hind will consult with those properties immediately adjacent to the proposed yellow lines, before submitting final plans to WSCC Highways dept. 

21/038/OM.             Asset Inventory and Maintenance 

Other than the playground, there is no maintenance schedule in place for the other village assets. Cllr Leader recommended that an email be send out to the villagers seeking residents with the appropriate skills and time to assist with the maintenance of the village assets on a voluntary basis. An example of this would be to varnish the parish noticeboard. 

ACTION – Clerk to send an email to the villagers via MailChimp seeking villagers prepared to help. 

21/039/OM.              Reports from Outside Bodies. 

Cllr Hind reported that the changes in leadership at West Sussex Association of Local Councils (WSALC) have now taken place. The proposed transfer of services to Hampshire ALC has been overturned. Instead, West Sussex Councils will continue to receive advice and services from East and West Sussex ALC as before incorporating training given by Mulberry Services. Cllr Mehta has already signed up for new councillor training offered by Mulberry. 

21/040/OM.             Information Items.  To receive information and items for the agenda at future meetings. 

A member of the public attending the online meeting offered their services in relation to the issue of Ladybrook spring and agreed to liaise separately with Cllr Hind and other Councillors on the matter. 

He also advised that the farmer was happy to take the spoil from the Operation Watershed works on Edburton Road if the proposal with WSCC is agreed. 

21/041/OM.              Correspondence.  To discuss correspondence and respond to correspondence received. 


21/042/OM.              Financial Matters. To receive the report on the Council’s income and to approve future expenditure. 

The clerk advised that the 2020/2021 annual accounts have been submitted to the internal auditor for review. These year-end accounts will be signed off at the Annual Meeting of the Council. 

21/043/OM.            To set a date of Annual General Meeting of the Council and Annual Parish Meeting: 

The annual meeting will be held on Wednesday 5th May 2021 at 7.30pm via Microsoft Teams. 

Date of the next Ordinary Meeting: Thursday 22nd July 2021 

The meeting closed at 9.00pm